Token Tips: Everyday Fur Care Tips
It's almost November which means that in most places, it's about time to break out your fur coats and jackets! (Or our lightweight Fur Vests if you're still experiencing a heat wave in your city)
Now that your fur pieces are out of the hiding place in the back of your closet; it's time to share some tips on how to take care of your furs now that you'll be getting more use from them.
Everyday Care Tips
- Your fur coat should always be hung on a broad, sturdy padded hanger to keep the shoulders from losing their shape. The neck of the hanger should be long enough to keep the collar of the coat away from the hanging rod.
- Do not hang a fur in a garment bag, especially a plastic bag, that doesn't breathe. The fur needs air circulation to keep the hide from drying out and cracking. Opt for a 100 percent cotton bag to keep dust out of the fur. The cotton bag is also easily washed.
- Do not leave jewelry pinned to your coat as it can mat the fur.
- When wearing your coat, do not use a shoulder bag consistently because it can wear away the fur and leave a bald spot. This would be the perfect time to bring out a clutch or fanny pack style bag.
- Wearing a scarf around your neck will prevent body soil and make-up from soiling your coat collar.
- Avoid using hairspray or applying perfume when wearing your coat. The formulas of most brands contain alcohol which can dry the hides. Any oils in the products may penetrate the fur and eventually become rancid. The odor is nearly impossible to remove.
- If you will be sitting for a long period of time, you should take your coat off to avoid crushing the fur. If you can't remove the coat, try to change positions often so that the fur will not be crushed in one spot over and over again. If possible, remove your coat and use it more like a blanket in your lap.
- If you have a natural or faux fur hat, take special care if it becomes wet. Proper reshaping is necessary to help these hats hold their shape.
These were just some every day tips to keep in mind as your rock your fur pieces this Fall and Winter. Be sure to tag us on social media in your #outfitoftheday posts when you style your Love Token Furs!
These tips were shared via thespruce.com